Friday, February 6, 2009

Shoeboxes for St. Jude

I'm part of a group at work that is sponsoring a drive to collect "Shoeboxes for St. Jude". This is near and dear to my heart because one of my littlest friends was diagnosed with neuroblastoma just a couple weeks ago, and she is now a St. Jude patient. You can read all about my friend at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/princesstess. Tess will turn 4 years old next week, so you can imagine the difficult and confusing journey her and her parents are going through right now. Take some time to read their website - it is so inspiring.

The Shoeboxes for St. Jude drive is an effort to collect shoeboxes full of games, toys, and treats to entertain young cancer patients as they go through chemotherapy. There are four categories of boxes - little girl, little boy, tween/teen girl, tween/teen boy. Tess is very fortunate to have strong support around her, however some of her new St. Jude friends don't have that kind of support. I'm planning to make a couple shoeboxes for this drive, and if you would like make one too, let me know and I can take it to the 'drive' for you. I'm looking forward to decorating and filling these boxes with all sorts of goodies that will bring a smile to a young cancer patients face! The shoeboxes will be collected the second week of March, so I'll be sure to post pictures of my final products! Once all the boxes are collected, the group will take them to St. Jude in Peoria where they will be distrubted to the patients.

If you are truly interested in making a shoebox, let me know and I can send you a document that has suggestions on what types of things to put into the box for each category. The key is to remember that these items should be something that keep them relatively still since they are hooked up to an IV while going through chemo. Examples of goodies include coloring books, crayons, stickers, tatoos, matchbox cars, etc.

No comments: