Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Shoeboxes for St. Jude

The final result of our Shoeboxes for St. Jude drive - 130 shoeboxes!! Two co-workers and I took all of these boxes to St. Jude in Peoria....my friend's Tahoe was PACKED! We had to be careful when we opened the back so that no boxes would spill out!



I learned a lot about St. Jude as we made about 4 trips from the car to their offices. Did you know that the next closest St. Jude facility (from Peoria) is Memphis (their headquarters)?!? I thought St. Jude was all over the place, but really they only have a few satellite offices. How lucky are we to live near one?? And the reason that St. Jude has a satellite office in Peoria is thanks to former Mayor Jim Maloof. He was a personal friend of the founder of St. Jude and he convinced his friend that Peoria would be an excellent spot for a satellite office, and he was right! We now have some of the top oncology doctors working close by!

No comments: